manual band dendrometer
D1 dendrometer for tree growth & carbon allocation
The dendrometer is designed to measure changes in the circumference of tree trunks or stems over time.
Simply, install the D1 Manual Band Dendrometer and periodically return to the tree to note the changes in circumference. Over time, the tree trunk will grow and this growth, or carbon allocation, will be noted in a larger circumference on the D1 dendrometer.
The D1 Manual Band Dendrometer is accurate and reliable for scientific research because it has the following features:
- the tape is manufactured from Astralon plastic which has low friction and low thermal expansion properties;
- the scale reading is already converted to diameter for easy, and less confusing, data collection;
- a uniquely shaped, and frictionless, Vernier scale for easier and precise measurements;
- minimum trunk diameter of 10 cm and no limit to a maximum trunk diameter; and
- longevity - the manual band dendrometer will survive many years in a woodland or forest environment.
D1 Manual Band Dendrometer Scientific Research Examples
- Adamek et al., 2009. Early effect of elevated nitrogen input on above-ground net primary production of a lower montane rain forest, Panama. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266467409990253
- Costa et al., 2004. The effect of cork-stripping damage on diameter growth of Quercus suber L. https://doi.org/10.1093/forestry/77.1.1
- Mund et al., 2020. It is not just a ‘trade-off’: indications for sink- and source-limitation to vegetative and regenerative growth in an old-growth beech forest. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.16408
|thermal elongation||75x10-6 /K|
|tensile strength||64 N/mm2|
|coefficient of friction||0.5 on dry bark|
|operating temperature||-30° C to 60° C|
|band weight||16 g|
|spring weight||7 g (short), 14 g (long)|
manual & docs