soil redox probes and measurements
- Low-cost, robust and accurate soil redox probes for Australia and New Zealand scientific research
- Easy to use and maintain
- Ideal for field projects or laboratory / soil column experiments
- Data logging with internet options or portable, handheld meters
Redox – also called ORP – is an important soil parameter for monitoring soil oxidation and reduction processes as used in, e.g., wetland studies, agriculture, archelogy and environmental research. Edaphic Scientific supplies Australian and New Zealand researchers with the SWAP Instruments range of redox probes. The SWAP Redox probes allow processes to be monitored continuously, and direct measures can be taken based on the obtained sensor data.
SWAP Instruments soil redox probes are available in analog or digital (SDI-12) models. The probes are suitable for Australian and New Zealand field research as well as laboratory, soil columns and pots in glasshouses or growth cabinets. Data logging or portable, handheld meter options are available.
whole system monitoring solutions
Edaphic Scientific is a one-stop shop for a whole system monitoring solution. We provide plant and soil monitoring systems for researchers and growers.
Our systems not only support soil moisture sensors but related sensors such as sap flow, dendrometers, soil oxygen, weather parameters, and more.
At Edaphic Scientific, we want to work with you from the start of your project through to its completion. We can provide:
- Assistance with project and experimental design
- Procurement of all monitoring equipment, including sensors, data loggers and data management software. Edaphic Scientific is a one-stop shop where we can source and find any necessary equipment for your project from our preferred suppliers or third-party suppliers.
- Installation and training
- On-going assistance with data interpretation and equipment maintenance
- Data correction and analysis, including statistical analysis with the R-package.
- Report and publication preparation, including tables, figures, graphs, and manuscript writing.
advanced data collection and management solutions
Edaphic Scientific recognises the need for flexible and adaptable sensor and data-logging for experimental or environmental monitoring projects.
Data can be downloaded directly in the field from data loggers. A direct connection between the data loggers and your computer via a USB cable can be used for the manual downloading of data.
Alternatively, data can be downloaded over the internet on your iPhone, iPad or desktop computer with the Eagle.io cloud-based data management software solutions. Through this remote-based downloading capabilities, you can download, view and manage your data and system anywhere in the world and at any time.
the importance of soil redox measurements
Soil redox measurements are important because they provide valuable information about the oxidative or reduction status of the soil environment. Redox potential is a measure of the ability of a soil to oxidize or reduce substances within it. It indicates the balance between oxidizing agents (electron acceptors) and reducing agents (electron donors) in the soil.
Soil redox measurements provide valuable data for scientists. Some applications include:
- Nutrient availability: Redox conditions affect the availability of essential nutrients for plant growth. In oxidized soils, certain nutrients, such as nitrogen, sulfur, and iron, are more readily available to plants in their oxidized forms. In contrast, reduced soils promote the availability of other nutrients, such as manganese and phosphorus, in their reduced forms. Monitoring soil redox potential helps assess nutrient availability and enables farmers and agronomists to optimize fertilization strategies.
- Soil health and function: Redox conditions influence the activity of microorganisms in the soil. Some microorganisms thrive in aerobic (oxidized) environments, while others prefer anaerobic (reduced) conditions. Measuring soil redox potential helps evaluate the overall microbial activity and diversity, which in turn impacts important soil functions like organic matter decomposition, nutrient cycling, and pollutant degradation.
- Water management: Soil redox measurements are particularly relevant in wetland ecosystems and areas with poor drainage. Poorly drained soils often have reduced conditions due to limited oxygen availability. Monitoring redox potential helps in assessing the suitability of such soils for plant growth and health, as prolonged waterlogging can negatively impact plant growth and productivity.
- Contaminant fate and remediation: Redox conditions affect the behaviour and mobility of various contaminants in the soil. For example, redox potential influences the speciation and mobility of heavy metals, organic pollutants, and nutrients like arsenic. By understanding soil redox potential, scientists and environmental engineers can design effective strategies for contaminant remediation and management.
- Soil acidification and pH: Redox conditions can influence soil pH and acidity. In anaerobic conditions, certain compounds undergo reduction reactions that produce acids, leading to soil acidification. Monitoring redox potential can help identify areas prone to soil acidification and guide appropriate soil management practices to mitigate the problem.
Edaphic Scientific provides a comprehensive range of solutions for soil redox measurements. The probes are valuable for Australian and New Zealand field research or laboratory / soil column experiments. The soil redox probes are also designed for pots in glasshouses and growth cabinets. Contact us today for further information and assistance with your project.
manual & docs
- Drill and drop soil moisture profile probes
- Soil moisture sensors, probes and meters
- TEROS 54 soil moisture profile probe
- 10HS large volume soil moisture sensor
- EC-5 soil water content sensor
- 4-20mA soil moisture water content sensor
- MIJ-03 soil oxygen sensor
- PARIO soil particle size analysis
- WP4C Soil Water Potential Meter
- Soil water potential sensors
- TEROS-12 soil moisture EC and temperature sensor