a small volume, low cost, soil volumetric water content sensor
- The EC-5 soil water content sensor from METER Group (formally Decagon Devices)
- Calibrated, robust, low cost reliable water content sensor
- Ideal for soils or substrates in the field, glasshouse, pots, or laboratory
- Analog output to connect to most data loggers
- Or portable measurements with the Procheck handheld meter
The EC-5 Soil Water Content Sensor is ideal for measuring soil moisture in small volumes. The EC-5 is also a low cost, robust sensor used widely by scientific researchers, students, nurseries, industry and many more. It is ideal for applications that need to measure soil water in a small volume such as pots or shallow soils or substrates.
The EC-5 is sensitive across the entire water content range. It can be installed in dry desert soils or in very wet peat. Sensitive to small changes in water content anywhere from 0 - 100% VWC.
Install the EC-5, plug it in to the ZL6 data logger, set the measurement intervals, and start logging data. No programming required. Alternatively, the scientists and engineers at Edaphic Scientific can assist in connecting the EC-5 to your existing system. The EC-5 has a voltage output and is compatible with most data logging systems.
sensor measurement zone dimensions
whole system monitoring solutions
Our systems not only support soil moisture sensors, but related sensors such as sap flow, dendrometers, soil oxygen, weather parameters, and more.
At Edaphic Scientific we want to work with you from the start of your project through to its completion. We can provide:
- Assistance with project and experimental design
- Procurement of all monitoring equipment, including sensors, data loggers and data management software. Edaphic Scientific is a one-stop shop where we can source and find any necessary equipment for your project from our preferred suppliers or third party suppliers
- Installation and training
- On-going assistance with data interpretation and equipment maintenance
- Data correction and analysis, including statistical analysis with the R-package
- Report and publication preparation including tables, figures, graphs, and manuscript writing
advanced data collection and management solutions
Edaphic Scientific recognises the need for flexible and adaptable sensor and data logging solutions for experimental or environmental monitoring projects.
Data can be downloaded directly in the field from data loggers. A direct connection between the data loggers and your computer, via a USB cable, can be used for manual downloading of data.
Alternatively, data can be downloaded over the internet on your iPhone, iPad or desktop computer with the Eagle.io cloud-based, data management software solutions. Through this remote based downloading capabilities, you can download, view and manage your data, and system, anywhere in the world and at anytime.
manual & docs
articles and application notes
- How to calibrate soil moisture sensors
- What is a capacitance sensor?
- 5 common mistakes when measuring soil moisture
- The Soil Water Compendium
- EC-5 and soil moisture measurements by NASA