a large volume, low cost, soil volumetric water content sensor
- The 10HS large volume soil moisture from METER Group (formally Decagon Devices)
- Calibrated, robust, low cost reliable water content sensor
- Ideal for soils or substrates in the field, glasshouse, pots, or laboratory
- Analog output to connect to most data loggers
- Or portable measurements with the Procheck handheld meter
10HS large volume soil moisture sensor is ideal for measuring volumetric soil water content in larger soil or substrate volumes. As a low cost, robust, accurate sensor, the 10HS is used widely by soil scientists, plant physiologists, hydrologists, engineers, agriculture, horticulture and more.
The large volume 10HS sensor is sensitive across the entire water content range. It can be installed in dry desert soils or in very wet peat. Also, the sensor is sensitive to small changes in water content anywhere from 0 - 100% VWC.
Install the 10HS, plug it in to the ZL6 data logger, set the measurement intervals, and start logging data. Therefore, no programming required. Alternatively, the scientists and engineers at Edaphic Scientific can assist in connecting the 10HS to your existing system. The 10HS has a voltage output and is compatible with most data logging systems.
sensor measurement zone dimensions
10HS large volume soil moisture sensor
The 10-cm long 10HS has three times the volume of influence compared to smaller sensors, measuring one liter of soil volume. Most soil sensors that measure this much volume are 20 cm or longer, causing installation headaches. The 10HS provides the perfect balance between volume of influence and sensor size, installing easily into the sidewall of a narrow trench.
whole system monitoring solutions
Our systems not only support soil moisture sensors, but related sensors such as sap flow, dendrometers, soil oxygen, weather parameters, and more.
At Edaphic Scientific we want to work with you from the start of your project through to its completion. We can provide:
- Assistance with project and experimental design
- Procurement of all monitoring equipment, including sensors, data loggers and data management software. Edaphic Scientific is a one-stop shop where we can source and find any necessary equipment for your project from our preferred suppliers or third party suppliers
- Installation and training
- On-going assistance with data interpretation and equipment maintenance
- Data correction and analysis, including statistical analysis with the R-package
- Report and publication preparation including tables, figures, graphs, and manuscript writing
advanced data collection and management solutions
Edaphic Scientific recognises the need for flexible and adaptable sensor and data logging solutions for experimental or environmental monitoring projects.
Data can be downloaded directly in the field from data loggers. A direct connection between the data loggers and your computer, via a USB cable, can be used for manual downloading of data.
Alternatively, data can be downloaded over the internet on your iPhone, iPad or desktop computer with the Eagle.io cloud-based, data management software solutions. Through this remote based downloading capabilities, you can download, view and manage your data, and system, anywhere in the world and at anytime.
manual & docs
articles and application notes
- How to calibrate soil moisture sensors
- What is a capacitance sensor?
- 5 common mistakes when measuring soil moisture
- The Soil Water Compendium
- Soil moisture measurements by NASA